Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Meet "RAVEN" 10 week old Lab mix Puppy


Raven made herself at home quickly!

With some of the extra time I had on my hands I was tackling the feral cat issue around our property (..I'll be sure to get on my soap box & rant about that in another post) I took a kitten to the county pound. While I was at the counter waiting my turn, a lady walked in holding a jet black puppy in her arms. She found her running in traffic. Sue, the good Samaritan wanted to check if the pup was microchiped... she wasn't. Trembling with her ears plastered to her head she made a pathetic sight.  Poor lil' pup was terrified of all the chaotic barking. It's an unsettling sound for me, can't imagine what it sounds like to a puppy. Sue said she wasn't leaving the puppy there...nor would I. She said she had a friend who ran a rescue that she would contact. I had a hunch & to confirm it I asked who that friend was? As suspected, it was Viv with ACGSR of Hollister who I'd fostered Jasmine for. I knew Viv was tapped out of foster homes since I'd just turned her down for Oliver a week ago. At the time she asked I still had 2 puppies, but that was no longer the case & this little girl had already captured me. We got Viv on the phone right then & there. She would sponsor & make the necessary appointments & I'd foster. Off we go on another foster adventure!!

Raven keeps an eye on me while I clean up the kitchen
On my way home with this trembling puppy on my lap the reality of what I'd just done was comical. I went to the pound to drop off a cat & came home with a puppy! I promptly called my husband & recanted the whole story to him. He said it was fine & he would've done the same thing...what a gem!!! He asked what her name was? I looked down at the puppy & she looked up at me with her ears perked up like little wings & the sun shining on her black coat..."RAVEN". I gave her a bath as soon as we got home.No obvious fleas & fairly clean. Offered her food. She took a few bites but she was to distracted by Lucy. It was LOVE at 1st sight. They romped around the yard until the bath I'd just given Raven was in question. Viv called & let me know Raven had an appointment With Dr. Wilson in Hollister in a few hours. I got out the camera & started snapping away. I think I know why it's harder to get black dogs adopted...they're difficult to photograph well. So many of the pictures didn't capture how cute she is. It's hard to do her justice in pictures. In this video she is trying to get Lucy to play with her. She likes balls over the other toys. The energy you see in this video is quickly turned off when she is in the house. She sits sweetly while I clean up the kitchen.


Finally, a puppy that will leave Poor Lucy's nipples alone!

Dr. Wilson & Raven

At her appointment she got an exam, vaccinations & worm/flea treatment. Dr. Wilson gave her the green light "HEALTHY PUPPY!" He said she look to be a lab mix but would grow to be on the smaller scale. He also noted the areas around her eyes as  minor Demodex, a skin mite present in most dogs & NOT CAUSE FOR ALARM. When puppies have a compromised immune systems from various reason (like stress, poor diet) they have reactions to the Demodex mites which are present on nearly all dogs. In time with good nutrition & care it should clear up on it's own. He suggested I just keep an eye on it  so that is doesn't get any worse. Raven hasn't seemed bother by it at all.
Raven's coat glistens in the sun
He first night with us went amazingly well. She was very interested in Missy & true to form, Missy avoided her like the plague. Our whole pack settled down to catch up on some DVR episodes of CSI. Raven snuggled in her bed on the floor between us. She would have preferred being on our laps but we don't want to create any bad habits for her new family. She got the hint quickly that the sofa is off limits. At bedtime we crated Raven in the office in a crate next to Lucy. She complained moderately for about 20 minutes then sleep soundly until I woke her up this morning for breakfast.
After play time Raven is ready for snuggles
Love her perky ears!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment