Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Goopy eye experiment -Day 1











Missy went to visit Dr. Greg DMV for her exam & vaccinations. I asked him about ways to address her "goopy, stinky eyes". He reassured me this is a common symptom in bulgy eyed dogs like Shih Tzus & there are no sure fire ways to eliminate the problem. I'm not a pill popper myself so filling Missy with drugs is my last option. He informed me of an organic natural product "Naturally Tearfree Canine". It's about $20 for a 5-6 month amount. It's worth a try so here goes the "goopy Eye Experiment". Per the instruction I'm supposed to "Stop all artificial or processed foods".  I'm on my way to a real food diet for the dogs but currently will continue the diet of Nutro Small Breed Adult, yogurt & added protein via minimal table scraps. If I were to alter her food now & there was a change in her eyes how would I know if it was the food or the product? Additionally, if she has any reaction I'd like to know if it's the eye treatment or a new diet.  She takes 1/4 t. once a day for 3 days, then twice a week, then once a week, then once a week as needed. I'm adding it to her yogurt in the evenings. Dr. Greg's other suggestion is to keep the area around her eyes closely trimmed. Missy has a grooming appointment soon so I'll have Lydia shave her moustache.

1 comment:

  1. She is a cutie! I am a big fan of the Shih Tzu breed and we always deal with the "goopy eye" problem. Seems like it is more of a problem for some than others. But never anything serious (yet). Good luck with your experiment!

    ReplyDelete